Sunday 28 March 2010

Chapter Four - Speechless (Teaser)


“Edward, I-”

“Don’t,” he spat, twisting round to face me. “How could you be so stupid?”

“I thought I heard-”

“I told you never to go anywhere without me, didn’t I?” he continued, ignoring my attempt at interrupting him. “Are you trying to get yourself killed, Isabella? Is that what this is about? You’re pissed at me for hurting your fucking toes so you decide to be all rebellious and go exploring? Jesus, are you completely out of your fucking mind?”

“I didn’t mean to-”

“To what? To go nosing around like some fucking detective? I don’t give a shit about what you did or didn’t hear, Bella – it’s not your place to go investigating a damn thing,” he growled angrily, glaring at me. I swallowed hard, shocked by his outburst. For me, it was easy to tell when someone’s anger was manufactured or real, and Edward’s rage…. That wasn’t faked. I tried to take a few steps forward, feeling my eyes well up with tears, then flinched when Edward threw his hands up in the air, half expecting him to hit me.

“Why can’t you just do what I tell you to for once?”

“I’m not a fucking dog, Edward,” I said softly, looking him straight in the eyes despite the fear I was feeling. “I’m a human being.”

“You don’t think I know that?” he replied, his voice rising. “But Jesus, Bella, I thought you had more sense than that.”

“All I did was try and see if I could help someone!” I pointed out. Why the fuck was he so angry? “It’s hardly a crime!”

“It wasn’t your place!” he shouted, and I jerked back from him in shock as he took another step closer. “You can’t do that shit, Isabella! It will get you killed!”

No comments:

Post a Comment