Tuesday 30 March 2010

Chapter Five - A Tear In The Membrane (Teaser)


“I’m okay,” I lied, then let go of his hand and started to stand. “It’s okay. I’m just going to… go.”

Not wanting to risk letting him see how much he’d hurt me, I hurriedly limped over to the bathroom, keeping my head ducked down just in case he tried following me, then quickly shut the door and locked it behind me before pressing my forehead against the cool wood and closing my eyes.

How could I be so stupid?

I bit down on my lip to stifle a sob as I brought my hand up to cup my cheek, then slowly opened my eyes again and inhaled a shuddering breath before limping over to the sink and gazing at myself in the mirror.

I stared at my reflection blankly for a few moments, letting myself experience the pain for once, letting the slow burn of it spread through mme and using it to remind myself of how much of an idiot I’d just been.

I slammed my hands down against the sink in anger, pissed off at myself for making yet another rookie mistake. What was it about Edward that kept making me slip up? I knew better than this, knew better than to let my emotions over-rule my head this way, but for some reason, whenever Edward was involved, all that training went out the window.

I shook my head, then looked up at my reflection again, taking in the tears that continued to roll down my flushed cheeks, the way my hair had fallen from its bun whilst I was sleeping and now hung limply round my face, making myself look more vulnerable than ever before. This wasn’t me. The way I’d acted yesterday was inexcusable – I’d let what had happened that morning affect the way I did my job, and that was something I couldn’t afford to do. Edward had been right – I was going to get us both killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment