Sunday 22 August 2010

Chapter Sixteen - Those Three Words (Teaser)


“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I told him, moving back to put some space between us and smiling. “Nothing’s wrong. I was just… I was just thinking.”

“About?” he prompted, turning round to face me fully now.

“Nothing,” I lied. “I was thinking about nothing.”

“Why don’t I believe you?” His brows furrowed briefly, but then understanding seemed to dawn on him. “Is this about… Yesterday, did I…”

“I don’t…”

“It’s not that I… Bella, what I said yesterday, about us not planning on having children? That wasn’t-”

“It’s fine,” I cut across, shrugging. “Seriously. You don’t have to explain.”

“I do,” he countered, then moved closer and took my hands in his. “I do, because I upset you and hurt you and I was…” He shook his head in frustration. “I was an ass, okay, Bella? I wasn’t thinking straight, and I spoke without considering the effects it would have on you.”

“Edward…” I squeezed his hands and tried to pull him towards me, but he wouldn’t allow me to.

“It’s not that I don’t want to have kids. I just… Now isn’t the right time for that.” He looked straight into my eyes. “One day… Maybe. But not right now. Not when so much is at stake and our lives are not our own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment