Thursday 7 October 2010

Chapter Eighteen - When You Call (Teaser)


As I walked over to the bed again, I tried to reassemble the phone as best I could, then flipped it open and pressed the power button. By some minor miracle, it turned on, and I frowned when a message popped up telling me I had a missed call from a number that looked familiar but I couldn’t quite place.

Before I had the chance to call the person back, the phone started to ring, from a withheld number this time. I hesitated. If it was Carlisle ringing…

Fuck.

I took a deep breath, then answered the call and held the phone up to my ear.

“Hello?”

I heard muffled whispering on the other line, and felt a jolt of fear rush up my spine; What if someone was trying to trace the call or had found out who I really was?

But something told me it wasn’t anything bad, so I decided to give it one more try.

“Hello?”

A pause.

“Mommy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment